The International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) and the Police Officers Association (POA) negotiated lucrative income in the following categories:
Holiday Pay *Laundry* Motorcycle Patrol
Premium Overtime: FLSA Premium • Shift Differential
• Holiday Pay – Hard Holiday-Paid regular hours worked in a shift (regular pay) for 7 City Observed Holidays in Calendar Year (POA)⁸
If a City of Chula Vista Police Officer works a hard holiday, he/she will receive pay for regular hours worked plus time and one-half for each hour worked.
– Floating Holidays- Effective the first pay period in July of each fiscal year, City of Chula Vista Police Dept. employees receive 5 Floating Holidays (POA)⁸
– City of Chula Vista Fire Dept. Employees assigned to the Fire Suppression Division will receive one hundred twenty (120) hours holiday pay at straight time ( 10 hours for each of the 12 holidays described below) each fiscal year. Holiday pay shall consist of approximately 4.60 hours per pay period for each employee in the bargaining unit. Pro-rated adjustments will be made for employees of represented classifications entering or leaving the Fire Suppression Division of the Department. (IAFF)⁷
– City of Chula Vista Fire Dept. Employees assigned to divisions other than Fire Suppression shall accrue 8 hours of holiday time for each of three (3) floating holidays and 10 hours of holiday time for each of ten (10) hard holidays, only if they work a 4-10 workweek (four ten-hour days). If said employees work a 5-8 work week (five eight-hour days), they shall accrue 8 hours of holiday time for each of the ten (10) hard holidays (IAFF)⁷
–City of Chula Vista Police Dept. Employees represented by the POA shall be entitled to a uniform cleaning allowance of$300 per year. Cleaning allowances shall be payable during the first pay period ending in December. (POA)⁸
– All represented City of Chula Vista Fire Dept. employees shall receive $200 per calendar year for the cleaning and maintenance of uniforms (IAFF)⁷
• Motorcycle Patrol Premium
–City of Chula Vista Police Dept. employees who are assigned to Motorcycle Duty will receive two (2) hours overtime cash compensation per week. The differential pay shall compensate for general maintenance, including cleaning and washing of the motorcycle and minor maintenance. (POA)⁸
• Overtime: FLSA Premium • Shift Differential
–City of Chula Vista Police Officer, Agent, Sergeant, and Lieutenant regularly assigned to work the first watch (graveyard) shift shall receive an additional $160 per pay period. (POA)⁸
– Each City of Chula Vista Police Officer, Agent, Sergeant, and Lieutenant regularly assigned to work the third or fourth watch (swing) shift shall receive $80 per pay period. (POA)⁸
• Joe Smith has been a City of Chula Vista firefighter for 29 years
• He will be 50 years old next year and the terms of his employment had his retirement plan as 3% @ 50.
• Mr. Smith’s highest salary was $100,000 a year.
• He also received $12,000 in Specialty Pay in addition to his salary that year.
Calculating monthly Pension
• 3% @ 50 means he could retire at 50
• If he retired at age 50 he would be paid 3% of highest base salary X (number of years of service)
• 3 x 30 = annual pension would be 90% of highest paid salary
• .90 x 100,000 = $90,000 annual pension • $90,000/12= $7,500 monthly pension w/o Specialty Pay included
Don’t forget to add Specialty Pay to highest paid salary
• $100,000 (highest paid salary ) + $12,000= $112,000 total income for highest paid year
• $112,000(highest salary w/ specialty income) x .90= $100,800.00
• $100,800 (annual income)/12= monthly payment amount
• $8,400 monthly pension payment w/ Specialty Pay included
Including Specialty Pay in highest paid salary increased monthly pension payment $900 per month
(pp116) Written Communication by Darren French, 2/18/2018
Specialty Pay for Public Safety was almost five times greater than General Employees for FY 2000-11
• Specialty Pay for Public Safety employees for 2000- FY 2011 was a total of $14,978,232.95.⁹
• Specialty Pay for General employees for 2000- FY 2011 was a total of $3,591,204.00.⁹
• Chris Cate, the interim president of SDCTA, said specialty pay is income that is included when calculating an public employees’ pension.⁹
The annual Specialty Pay paid to Public Safety employees increased $1.5 million dollars after 9/11.